Over The Counter Medicines
Please note that over the counter medication can not now be prescribed by your GP even if you do not pay for your prescriptions. This will include pain killers, hayfever medication, eye drops, food supplements and many creams and lotions, examples are listed below.
A wide range of effective remedies are now available in the pharmacy. Your Pharmacist is on hand and trained to advise you on most minor illnesses.
Please try your local pharmacist first - they are there to help
- 1% Hydrocortisone cream for skin irritation, contact dermatitis and eczema
- Piriton and other antihistamines for hay fever, insect bites and allergies
- Daktarin or Canesten cream for athlete’s foot, nappy rash or thrush
- Ibuprofen tablets for acute sprains, muscle aches or period pain
- Acyclovir (Zovirax) cream for cold sores
- Eye drops & creams
- Paracetamol syrup (Calpol or Disprol) or Ibuprofen for mild to moderate pain and temperatures in children
- For the treatment of many other common ailments such as threadworms, head lice, acne and tummy upsets, your pharmacist is trained to give advice.